The attention of the Sokoto State Chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been drawn to a statement issued by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), one of the defeated parties that participated in the March 12, 2016 local government election in Sokoto State.
Apart from the apparent flaw in the grammatical structure, the statement was deficient in presenting the true picture of what transpired during the election in Sokoto State.
To set the records straight, we wish to state the following:
1. That the local councils’ election which held in Sokoto State on Saturday, March 12, 2016 was free, fair and credible, and met national and international standards required for conducting elections
2. That all observers who monitored the election have adjudged it as free, fair and credible
3. That the State Independent Electoral Commission deserves commendation from all stakeholders for maintaining its integrity throughout the preparations and the eventual conduct of the election
4. That the Sokoto State Government, under the leadership of Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal CFR, Mutawallen Sokoto, should be commended for providing the enabling environment for Sokoto SIEC to conduct the election without any hitch
5. That there was no any incidence of intimidation or harassment of party agents or supporters in any local government area of Sokoto State before, during and after the elections
6. That the All Progressives Congress (APC) won the elections in a free and fair contest
7. That rather than mobilize the few supporters it had in Sokoto State to face the election as is the global practice, the PDP resorted to cheap blackmail by impugning on the integrity of respected individuals and institutions in the state
8. That insulting the media, the electoral umpire and the security agencies, exposed the PDP as desperate, and unworthy of the trust of the people of Sokoto State
9. That after 16 years of shallow leadership, Nigerians booted PDP out of power in the 2015 general election. What happened in Sokoto was the reaffirmation of the state’s rejection of the PDP. Whether in 2015 or 2016, PDP has no place in Sokoto State.
10. The question to ask is why is it that of the twenty nine (29) political parties that took part in the election, only PDP saw something wrong with it?
Rather than issue inciting statement, the PDP should join hands with the APC-led administration of President Muhammadu Buhari at the Federal level and Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal at the State level to deliver democracy dividends to the people.
Sidi Aliyu Lamido
Sokoto State APC Publicity Secretary