It is my honour and privilege to be here with you today on the occasion marking the opening of the 3-Day Post-Inaugural Workshop for the 8th Legislature of the Sokoto State House of Assembly. The workshop organized by the Sokoto State Government in collaboration with the United State Agency for International Development (USAID/RTI-LEAD) has come at no better time, considering the need to ensure a vibrant legislative arm of government as a means of strengthening our great nurtured democratic ideals.
2. Distinguished guests, ladies and gentlemen, democracy strives only with a live legislature being the single most important organ of government that serves to differentiate between the people’s government and dictatorship. The beauty of democracy has always been that, at all times people’s voice counts in matters that affect their live. These voices are heard through quality representation which can only be possible with requisite knowledge on the techniques and approaches in legislative processes. I am confident that, the workshop will provide an opportunity for our Honourable Members to interact with each other and exchange ideas between and among themselves on rudimentary legislative acts and frameworks for better performances. They will explore different aspects of legislative practices with sole aim of building a strong virile, self-reliant and prosperous democratic ideals in our State and the Nation in general.
3. I would like to extend my sincere appreciation to the Management of USAID/RTI-LEAD for partnering with the Sokoto State Government in organizing this all-important workshop. The Agency has been very helpful to the State in formulating frameworks on Capacity building and human resource development. The Agency’s efforts in the formulation of transparency-related and other policy issues led to the domestication of key policy frameworks in the State such as the Fiscal responsibility, budget process, statistics, Due Process, Internally Generated Revenue etc. The budgeting process has been re-modeled to international standard for efficiency and effective service delivery. So also the Due Process Office which was able to curtail unnecessary entries in contract formalizations and saved a lot of money for the government. These key policy frameworks today serve as our guiding principles in the execution of many developmental programmes in Sokoto State. I must once again thank you for the efforts and urge you to collaborate with us in other sectors such as Education, health, general manpower development etc so that together we can build a prosperous State. I wish to assure you that the present administration will continue to co-operate with you in all areas important for the well being of our people.
4. At this juncture, I wish to state that government is about collective responsibility which is not only limited to basic knowledge, but also the zeal, dedication and commitment to doing things right and in line with provisions of our relevant Laws. I urge the Honourable Members to muster courage and commit themselves to selfless service to our people. I am committed to working harmoniously with you in all matters related to public responsibility and obligations as entrusted to us by our people. We owe that to our people and we must not fail in the interest of public good.
5. Finally, I would like to thank the organizers of this workshop, particularly the Representative of the USAID/RTI-LEAD for the foresight. I urge the Honourable Members to pay special attention to the innovative ideas during deliberations so that what you have learned will be put to use for the overall development of our people and the Nation in general. On this note, it is my pleasure to declare this 3-Day Post-Inaugural Workshop open.
6. I wish you Allah’s blessing. Thank you and wassalamu Alaikum.